Thursday, September 3, 2009

I have absolutely no original thoughts.

So here's the deal: one of the classes I have to teach is called "World Cultures." It's an enrichment class. The three world language teachers in the elementary school share the responsibility of this class. Our format usually has been to teach about a country. We take turns, so in the course of a semester I'll have to teach about three countries (this year's choices: Brazil, Indonesia, and Somalia). This still leaves us three more classes to fill. Tomorrow's class will be about "Where does this food item come from?" I thought at the time, "You know, there must be something interesting about noodles. I'd love to know the history of them."

Yeah, well, so would apparently a whole bunch of folks who watch Korean Broadcasting Service. They produced a whole documentary series on this very topic called "Noodle Road." So I'm not the only dork out there who thought, "Wow, I'd like to learn all about noodles." Here's a link to the promo for the series:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8xv_00iQrI

This only goes to prove a thought I've had for years: any idea that I have will already be out in cyberspace somewhere. Think of anything to google, any two random words, and there will be a web page for it, maybe 400 web pages. I'm not quite sure whether to feel this is reassuring or dehumanizing.

No comments:

Post a Comment