Saturday, August 22, 2009

Raindrops on Roses, whiskers on kittens


This is the time of year where I start to feel a little down. I suppose it's inevitable. School is back in session, and as a teacher, I'm back at work after a long summer. The light starts to fade. The flowers start to look a little droopy. It's going to be cold soon. What's a mom/Spanish teacher to do? Well, I've decided to compile a list of the things that make me feel better when my mood is less than exuberant. Here goes (in the order in which they came to my mind):


1. Nothing beats Charlie Harper's artwork. If I feel sad, I just need to look at one of his cardinals. http://www.charleyharperprints.com/

2. Old cast-iron skillets. I love them.
3. Listening to my kids play together, because my son says "Betend (not pretend)."
3. John Coltrane's "My Favorite Things."
4. This cool Youtube video of the Columbus Symphony playing at Ash Cave park in the Hocking Hills region.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFx3BMpo3vg
5. A quick view of Chartre cathedral. The most beautiful shade of blue in the world can be found there. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYRVmIj7bw8
6. The sound of wind in the trees
7. The sound of water in a creek as it goes over the rocks
8. The sound of seashells as they wash up on the beach
9. The yellow on my dining room wall
10. A nice glass of Pinot Grigio on a hot day
11. A nice glass of shiraz on a cold day
12. Thai pumpkin soup
13. Subzi dalcha
14. Talking to my mom or my sisters
15. A walk through my neighborhood because I like to look at everyone's gardens
16. Walking through my neighborhood at twilight, when the families who live there turn on the lights inside the houses. Lights through the window look beautiful to me.
17. If you look at the glass on office building windows in the late afternoon, the sky reflects in the windows so that they look almost silver.
18. Krohn Conservatory
19. The Purple People Bridge
20. Singing at the top of my lungs, especially stuff in German or Latin that I remember from college choir
21. My white-and-red-flowered tablecloth
22. Cold Saturday mornings, when I burrow under throws on my sofa, and my children and cats climb on top of me.
23. Talking with my husband about music
24. Dinner with friends
25. The show "What Not to Wear." My husband makes fun of me for watching. Yes, it's predictable. Yes, the shlubby woman will be fabulously transformed. Yes, Nick Arrojo will give her the same haircut he gave the woman on the last show. Why is this bad? In a world of recession, wars, disease, etc., what's so bad about knowing what's coming next?
26. The video "Bonito" by the group Jarabe de Palo. The song is almost what I just did right now. The lyrics are about all the things in the world that are beautiful to him ("todo me parece bonito.") Great video. Great sentiment. Take a look. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaPIrbmEj5E
If you have any suggestions, feel free to add them.

1 comment:

  1. wow....what a great list!!!makes me feel better just reading it... :)

    ReplyDelete